Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Gary Koltookian joins ChaseTheChuckwagon.com as head blog writer and editor

Let’s Get This Blog Started!

Greetings to all of you Chuckwagon users out there! My name’s Gary Koltookian, and I’ll be blogging this space on a regular basis with cool news, insights and miscellany pertaining to the exciting world of videogames. I’ve been told that the sky’s the limit with this blog, so expect my posts to be as random as ball drops in a lotto drawing! I’m hoping that by covering lots of topics, from classic gaming to console gaming, that each and every one of you will be entertained, enlightened and emboldened to participate with your thoughts and insights.

I’ve been a lifelong fan of gaming, someone who actually had the good fortune to work within the industry for a short while at companies such as GameSpy and Interplay Entertainment. Shiny Entertainment, creators of the Earthworm Jim series, took me on board as a freelancer when an instruction manual needed to be written for Sacrifice, its critically-acclaimed real-time strategy game released back in 2000. The manual got written, the higher-ups were impressed, and I was hired as a full-time writer within Interplay, Shiny’s parent company. For someone who grew up cutting his gaming teeth on games such as The Bard’s Tale and Wasteland, it was an out-of-body experience – especially when I got a chance to chat with company founder Brian Fargo.

I’ve attended E3 every year and this year will be no different. I’ll make sure to take lots of pictures and blog about some of the cooler things seen on the show floor. I always found it curious why E3 tried to downsize itself the last couple of years, and I’m glad to see the show return to its former self. Apparently there were concerns that nothing productive was being accomplished at the shows amidst all the chaos and spectacle, especially with all the money being spent on each booth setup. As much as the developers and studios didn’t want to admit it, E3 is really all about showing off, building hype and creating buzz (with booth babes, of course). What’s going to make this E3 interesting is to see how much the recession and down economy will have an impact on presentations and exhibits.

The word on the street is that gaming is largely recession-proof, providing a lot of entertainment value for the money as opposed to going to the movies, so we’ll just have to see. I’ll bring you those observations as well.

In the meantime, keep watching this space for updates!
-Gary

No comments: